Thursday, September 11, 2008

At every moment, do what love requires

I wrote this poem many years ago, when I was the mother of small children...feeling pulled in so many directions. Over the years, parts of it have come back to haunt me...for at the time of writing the poem, I had no shattered dreams...The ring represents The Prodigal Son and how God wants to give us more than we need.

Like so many others, I have been drawn into the
Magic of NieNie...and now with every breath I take, a prayer is exhaled up to the heavens for God to fill their needs. Once again, the meaning of my poem has changed...

I would like to dedicate this poem to CJane...who, at every moment, does what love requires.


Prayer of an Ordinary Housewife

It's been so long
since I've been home;
emotions flooding in.
I've been so very far away,
where do I begin?
I pick up the pieces
of all my shattered dreams;
I draw them all together
to figure out the scheme.
Some pieces are still razor sharp;
they cut me to my heart,
while other go together
as if they never were apart.
Some have been made smooth,
their roughness washed away by time,
and I'm left with all these pieces
to make this life of mine.
But all that I can do
will never be enough.
I fill each and every minute;
there's work to do, hurry up!
But in the stillness I allow
when I'm not consumed by guilt
over all my many blessings,
none of which I've built,
I can hear you say:

Child, be still
and let me place
this ring upon your hand.
Rest in Me child,
Rest in Me.
Do all that I command.
And all that I command
Is Love.

1 comment:

Renee said...

So you have always had the heart of a poet I see.

At one point when I started this in 2006 I did feel that I was going into something worse than a whale.

Thank you always for your support.

Love Renee xoxo