Monday, July 6, 2020

Alive Again


I am that Rottweiler Bitch

Whose litter of puppies died

And I will find nine replacements, 

Be it a fuzzy slipper,

A stuffed animal

Or an abandoned baby squirrel 

And I will nurse it back to life

Because every single morning 

I wake up

Alive.


Some may want me to carry 

The flame of eternal love,

An idealistic image of romance,

But let me tell you 

There is no romance in an empty bed,

No comfort in placing ones head

On an imaginary chest

Because every single night

I went to bed

Alone.


Here in this little room

I can see what remains of my life;

I have held it in my hands

And watched it slip away

While I grieved what I had lost.

Lost no longer,

I have been found.

Broken and broken have come together

And for the first time in years

I sleep sound. 






6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Life does move on, as it should. Live yours to the fullest!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Oh my goodness, Deborah. That is so moving - just how your life is...our lives have to be. Moving forward to anew. Thank you for that today - so very powerful! My heart rejoices for you, my friend♥

kj said...

You are an example that time and love can heal even the great losses in our lives.
love kj

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

la vie nous réserve parfois de vilaines farces mais aussi de si beaux moments bonheurs... Il faut y croire.

Plein de belles choses à vous, bisous

Bella Rum said...

Good for you!
Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment! Bella Rum

Wendy said...

So happy to read this Debra! Time does heal - eventually.
I've moved on as well. Found my true soulmate on a ship. On a cruise last March in the southern Caribbean.
We knew instantly and married a few months ago.
I moved from Canada to Oklahoma.
Blessings dear Debra. Stay healthy and safe.
<3