Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stepping Stones

Just this morning after returning from my walk
I began to feel wistful, longing to be free . . .
of what?
Of having to work a REAL job.
Oh poor me, I thought as I watered the flowers,
Poor poor me, as I deadheaded the petunias . . .
Each day I have to make the long trek
to my office at the front of my house
sit at my computer and do what it is I do
to pay the bills.

When the children were in school I had imagined
this time of my life quite differently . . .
But alas, the steps that brought me
to this point of still working
were chosen steps . . .
undertaken to save
the life of a child.

As I checked each and every little flower
as I do every single morning
before I head into my cyber world of work,
I realized . . .
I AM living my dream.
I just live it in between . . .
Step One: I am as free as I allow myself to be.

4 comments:

Just A Girl said...

"I just live it in between." I like that! I like it a lot!!! And how true it is!! To save the life of a child? It sounds like there's a story in there :).

Have a wonderful day Deborah!!!

xoxo Cori

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

...walking out to your gorgeous yard (not a bad commute!) to breathe in the flowers and air sounds like living at its best.

Thank goodness for cyber jobs!

Wendy said...

Yes it does sound like a story - to save the life of a child. A good reason to work.

I sometimes think I've got life backward. I had to work once my children got to school (when I would have been happier at home). Now, that my children are grown up and gone, I'm at home and would rather have a job (well only part time).

Your steps are intriguing. Where are we going?

Renee said...

Oh my gosh Deborah this is so beautiful.

You are beautiful.

Love Renee xoxo